Getting UFB 2017-03-02T12:35:29+00:00

Getting UFB in your present home or building

Most home wiring installed since the 1970s should be sufficient to deliver UFB. You will have a new External Termination Point (ETP) fitted on the outside of your house, through which the fibre connects to an Optical Network Termination (ONT) point inside. If you have a router (or Residential Gateway) installed, the associated Wi-Fi can provide wireless speeds of  more than 50Mbps (newer gateways supporting the 802.11n or 802.11ac standard are best) and requires no new wiring. It is worth noting these may not be suited for homes which are made of concrete or brick. It is also important to ensure the location of the ONT and router is central. Your RSP can provide more specific advice applicable to your circumstances.

A typical installation might include:

  • the ONT placed in the home near a power point and with access to existing household wiring
  • legacy telephone/ alarms / Sky etc. using existing twisted pair cabling
  • computers, tablets etc. using Wi-Fi in the home (50 Mbps plus) or existing Cat-5/6 cabling;
  • rich video services delivered either via wireless or run cable as with existing Sky services; and
  • the option to use Over The Top (Voice Over Internet Protocol) for telephony.


Indicative only. Individual circumstances may vary.

Getting UFB in a new or renovated building

If you are renovating your home it is worth planning for your future communications requirements. High users (for example, those who may wish to have multiple family members accessing different media-rich video services at the same time) may be best to upgrade their in-home wiring to Cat 5 or 6 standard.  You can take a look at the Telecommunications Carriers Forum (TCF) advice for homeowners wiring a “smarthome”.  If you are renovating, ask your contractor to follow the TCF Premise Wiring Code.

You will require consents if your home or business is in a shared building or down a right of way.